Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Windsor Castle

Windsor Castle: (Friday 2/11) On Friday, we went on a group trip to Windsor and Hampton Court. I have a new found love for the English Royal family. I found myself wishing I was Queen Elizabeth so I could vacation at Windsor Castle every weekend, which she does. We first went to Windsor Castle, which absolutely took my breath away. It is on my list of Top 5 most beautiful places in Europe. I wish I could have taken photographs inside to show you all, but unfortunately I could only do so outside. We visited St. George's Chapel, the State Apartments, and walked around outside. On our tour inside, we received headsets on which we pressed a button for every different room we walked into. While some people whizzed through, Grayson and I took our time, making sure to take in everything and hear every word, which unfortunately left us fifteen minutes to grab lunch before taking off. My favorite part were the magnificent chandeliers, followed closely by the hundreds of portraits from the Royal Collection and the arms collections. I wish I could describe the rooms with guns and swords on display. The guns are hung on walls in beautiful patterns, turning an object of violence into pure beauty. The views from the rooms that overlooked the gardens and at the rest of the city were amazing. While we were inside St. George's Chapel, the Queen arrived! It was so exciting to know that we were there at the same time, but it sounds more exciting than it was. We didn't see her car or anything, we just saw the flag hoisted, signifying her arrival. She goes there just about every weekend to relax. What a life.


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment